Code of Conduct
The Hernando County Public Library System welcomes everyone to use its facilities. To ensure the comfort and safety of our patrons the Library must enforce some fundamental rules of behavior.
Library patrons engaging in inappropriate behavior will not be allowed to interfere with Library service to others. Inappropriate behavior is defined as any behavior on Library premises which infringes on the rights of others to use the Library in relative comfort and safety, behavior which could result in injury to oneself or others or behavior which could result in damage to Library materials or property.
Inappropriate Library behavior includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Using a false name, address or other’s Library card
- Damaging Library materials or property
- Leaving children unattended
- Persistently disturbing or harassing Library staff or patrons
- Engaging in noisy behavior, including whistling, loud talking, playing audio equipment so others can hear it, and disruptive cell phone ringing and use
- Refusing to show identification or refusing to submit possessions to Library staff for inspection upon request
- Engaging in excessive public displays of affection
- Striking matches or lighting lighters
- Carrying weapons of any kind, unless the person is a law enforcement official
- Verbal abuse/profanity towards Library staff and/or patrons
- Threatening Library staff or patrons
- Causing bodily harm
- Smoking or eating in the Library
- Having uncovered beverages in the Library (NO beverages allowed at computer stations.)
- Sleeping or soliciting on Library premises
- Having offensive bodily hygiene which constitutes a nuisance to others
- Absence of shirt and/or shoes (shirt and shoes required)
- Bringing animals into the Library with the exception of service animals
- Violating any library policies, rules and regulations that infringe on the rights of others to use the Library and its services
Patrons engaging in inappropriate library behavior will be reminded by staff that this conduct is prohibited in the Hernando County Public Library. Individuals who continue to engage in inappropriate behavior will be asked to leave the Library. If a patron refuses to leave the Library, law enforcement will be called. Patrons whose behavior is continually inappropriate or dangerous may be placed on “trespass warning” upon notification of the proper authorities.
The Library Code of Conduct covers behavior on all Library property: Main Library, Library branches, vehicles, deposit collections and all programs under Library control.