The Hernando County Public Library System is an innovative center for lifelong community enrichment, education, and entertainment providing quality resources and services in a welcoming, customer friendly environment.
The First Library:
Frederick Eugene Lykes, Jr. Memorial Library
1910: The Brooksville Women’s Club formed the first public library in Hernando County under the leadership of Mrs. R.N. Chelf
1926: Under the leadership of Mrs. Raymond Robins (Margaret Dreier Robins), organizer of the Hernando County Y.W.C.A., the “Bookshop of Tamiami Trail” was opened and significantly expanded the book collection donated by the Women’s Club. Library services were greatly increased under Mrs. Robin’s Leadership.
1944: The first Hernando County Library Association was chartered with the major objective to purchase land for a new library.
1949: Ground was broken for a new library on property purchased from Monroe Alvin Coogler, which was the original Coogler homestead.
1950: The new library was dedicated as the Frederick Eugene Lykes, Jr. Memorial Library in memory of the late son of Mr & Mrs. Frederick Lykes, Sr., and in recognition of the efforts and funding contributed by the Lykes family on behalf of the public library.
1960: Addition of the east wing.
1965: The north wing was added under the sponsorship of the Junior Service League
1980: Addition of the south wing.
1987: Renovation and expansion funded by the State Library Services and Construction Act grant and Hernando County taxes.